In this article:
Enabling encryption will encode your data. It is recommended to be used while working with sensitive data.
- Low (AES CBC 128) - AES algorithm operating in CBC (Cipher-Block Chaining) mode with the encryption key of 128 bits.
- Medium (AES CBC 192) - operates with the same mode as in 'Low' setting but with longer encryption key - 192 bits.
- High (AES CBC 256) - with this option is selected AES algorithm will work in CBC (Cipher-Block Chaining) mode with the encryption key of 256 bits.
It is important to mention that chosen level will have an impact on end-device resource usage and backup length.
This password will be used to generate encryption key.
Click on Set or generate to create a new password or use already existing one.
To add new key click on Add password button. After filling in the form click on Save password to proceed.
Last step is to select newly generated password from the list.
Using compression will make your backup files smaller than the source files. Thanks to that option you can save disk space on your storage and keep more data on it.
There are two different compression algorithms available in GitProtect:
- LZ4 - lossless streaming compression algorithm is characterized by high compression speed and even faster decompression.
- ZStandard - fast lossless compression algorithm targeting real-time, wide range compression.
- Normal - using this parameter will compress the data that is being protected very quickly.
- Medium - choosing this parameter is the most optimal solution - a compromise between the time of the compression process and the size of the data that will be saved in the storage.
- High - as a result of this option, the maximum potential of the algorithm will be used in process taking much longer to complete but resulting in smallest possible amount of space taken up by the data sent.
Using advanced backup settings allows you to define how to handle errors that occurred during backup process. This section consists of 3 options:
- Run overdued backup tasks - if for example your device was turned off at the time that backup task should start enabling this feature will run these tasks despite them being late according to schedule.
- Repeat backup on fail - this option will come in handy if you know that sometimes something may interfere with the backup. You can specify number of attempts that the program will make and a time interval between them.
- Ignore bad sectors - while this option is enabled backup will ignore bad sectors on disk.
Volume shadow copy service is responsible for keeping the consistency of the data and also allows to perform backup of open files. In Advanced settings you can decide whether to use VSS or not simply by turning the switch on/off.