In order to create the Microsoft SQL database backup set, in client application, you should run the Backup set wizard by clicking on New backup set button in My backup sets tab.
In the Backup set wizard mark Advanced copy and select SQL Server from dropdown list. Don’t forget to define the backup set name.
Then in SQL Server section define following parameters which are required to connect to the database server:
- Database server – select from dropdown list name of the Microsoft SQL server instance that has to be backed up.
- Trusted connection – checking this option will cause authenticate to the database server as Windows user. User and Password fields will be inactive. The Windows username and its password should be provided in Advanced tab of the Backup set wizard in section Privileges.
- User – the Microsoft SQL username.
- Password – the password for provided user.
The user, provided in Xopero application, must have permissions to database backup on Microsoft SQL server.
If the Windows user authentication is used to Microsoft SQL Server it is required to provide its username and password in section Privileges of Advanced tab in Backup set wizard.
If above data has been provided properly the application will connect automatically to database server and will display all available database as dropdown list in Database field. Select one of them or check the All databases what will cause that all databases from the server will be included to backup.
When all databases option is checked each new database from the server will be included automatically to backup.
When all data are set correctly click on the Test connection button to check connection to the database.
Next define Temporary directory, it is a local path where the database dump, from Microsoft SQL Server, will be stored. Select also one of the following Database script type that defines the type of database dump:
- Full - every backup will create a full dump of the database,
- Differential - the database dump will contain only the differences that have been made since the last full database dump from server,
- Transaction log - contains all records of transaction log which have been generated since its last copy or last full database backup. It lets to restore the database to given point in the time.
In case of select the differential dump of database select whether and how often the full dump of database has to be made.
We recommend to perform full database dumps, its frequency depends on database size and differences that are made between backups.