Get Management Center
The Management Center is an application which allows you to configure and manage Xopero Appliance centrally and remotely.
It is required to install the Management Center application after the installation of Xopero. Open your QNAP web panel and go to the App Center. You have to find the Xopero PRO or Xopero Free Forever and click the Open button in its box.
The Xopero icon should also appear in the main QNAP panel. You can open the Xopero Control Panel from here as well.
The Xopero Control Panel will be shown, however at this stage of configuration you will be asked to download the Management Center application. Click the Download button in order to get it.
When the Xopero is configured the Control Panel enables you to view the data store utilization, check user logs or download client applications and update license details.
When the download is finished, install and run the Management Center application on your computer.
Setup Xopero to work
When you run the Management Center, the login screen will be displayed. Your QNAP device will be detected automatically and the default Xopero username and password will be filled in.
In order to log into the Management Center you have to use the Xopero administrator account instead of QNAP user. The Xopero default username is admin and its password: admin.
During the first log on to the Management Center, a wizard guides first configuration, which will help you prepare Xopero platform for further work.
Change the admin password
After logging into your QNAP the First Run Wizard will be launched and in the first step it is required to change the user password for security reasons. Just type in the password and make sure that you re-type it correctly.
Create data storage
If you have a default password to your QNAP (admin) the data storage will be created automatically. In case of previous alteration of QNAP admin password the First Run Wizard will ask you to type in this admin password and then to choose the data storage type:
- Automatic – this is the recommended type, the data storage size will be fit to the available disk space on QNAP,
- Manual - it allows you to set the data storage size, its priority, cluster size and QNAP shared folder.
If the QNAP device has been updated from the QTS less than 4.0 the data store cannot be created automatically. In this case you have to create the data store manually, click on the "..." button in the Shared folder field and create the folder directly on QNAP device.
Integration with Active Directory service
Now comes AD integration, which is available for domain controllers with Active Directory. We'll skip this step. More information about it: Mapping Active Directory Users.
Add your first Xopero user
Now, you have to create your first Xopero user who will be able to backup and sync data. Firstly, type his/her name and password. Next, it is recommended to define the user encryption key which will be used to encrypt the data. There are two type of the encryption key:
- Default key – it is generated automatically and stored in Xopero database on QNAP, user does not know this key. It is a safe and comfortable method because there is no risk of losing the key.
- User key – the user types in his/her own encryption key and it is not stored in Xopero database. The data is better secured because there is also required to enter the encryption key besides the user name and password to restore data. In case of the key loss it is impossible to restore backed up data.
Subsequently, you have to choose the account type between:
- Endpoint – the user can backup only local data, Microsoft Outlook and perform VHD backup.
- Server – the user can backup the same data as in Endpoint type and moreover it is possible to backup the databases, Microsoft Exchange, virtual environments, FTP servers and network drives.
The Endpoint user cannot use Xopero applications installed on the Windows Server operating system.
Download and install client application
In the next step, you have to download the client application and install it on any computer in your local network. It can be the same computer where the Management Center is installed.
Assign device to user account
Once the client application is installed, you can assign the device to user account. In Xopero system the device is the user’s computer with the client application installed on it.
For the Xopero system, device is the user's computer with the installed client application
Just right-click on the user and select the Assign device option then select the device from the list or enter its IP address manually. Finally you have to enter the user password and its encryption key if it is required.
Click Assign to finish the wizard and start protecting your data with Xopero.